Asian Chicken with Ginger and Scallion Sauce
The Asian flavors and ginger spice of this favorite Haas family dish are natural complements to the Roussanne grape's honey, nut and mineral flavors. Enjoy!
- 1 whole chicken (3 lbs)
- 2 tsps sesame oil
- 4 tbsps peanut or vegetable oil
- 6 tbsps finely shredded fresh ginger
- 4 scallions, green part included, trimmed and cut into 4-in. lengths, then cut into fine strips
- 3 tbsps light soy sauce
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 ½ tbsps dry sherry
- Place the chicken in a large pot and add water to cover. Bring to a boil and simmer about 30 minutes. Turn off the heat and let the chicken stand in the cooking liquid until just warm (about 2 hours). Drain and save broth for another use.
- Cut the chicken into serving pieces, then chop into bite-sized morsels and drizzle with sesame oil. Arrange chicken pieces neatly on a platter.
- Heat the peanut or vegetable oil in a saucepan. When hot, add the ginger and scallions. Cook about 45 seconds.
- Scoop the ginger and scallions out of the oil with a slotted spoon, and scatter them over the chicken.
- Add the remaining ingredients to the oil. Bring to a boil, cook for 15 seconds and pour over the chicken.
- Serve warm or at room temperature.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette Blanche