Caramelized Diver Scallop, Melted Leeks, Ginger-Parsnip Puree
Chef Jeffery Scott prepared this recipe to be paired with Tablas Creek white wines.
- 3 lb parsnips, peeled and quartered
- Fresh ginger peeled, sliced 2" thick
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup water
- ¼ cup cream
- pinch of salt
- 1 bunch large leeks
- 2 tbsp minced shallots
- 2 tbsp butter
- Pinch of salt
- Freshly ground white pepper
- 4 fresh dry packed U-10 Sea Scallops
- 1 tbsp blended olive oil
- 1 tbsp butter
- Sprig of fresh thyme
- ½ lemon
- Place parsnips, ginger, sugar, butter, olive oil, water and salt into a baking pan and cover with foil.
- Cook in 375-degree oven for 45 minutes.
- Remove the slices of ginger and puree in a food processor until smooth.
- Add cream and season with salt.
- While parsnips are cooking. Cut off green tops on the leeks, wash and slice lengthwise; slice each half into thin half-moons.
- Wash again and spin dry.
- Sweat butter and shallot in a medium sauce pan.
- Add leeks and simmer on low, covered for 15 minutes; add a bit more butter and season with salt and white pepper.
- Heat a nonstick sautee pan over medium high heat; add oil
- Sear scallops until bronze colored, flip add butter and thyme baste the top with the foaming butter for 30 seconds. Remove the scallops.
- Place a spoon of parsnip puree on the plate. Spoon over leeks. Place a scallop on the leeks and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Cotes de Tablas Blanc, Patelin de Tablas Blanc