Carrot, Leek and Potato Soup
With winter upon us, a good soup recipe is always welcome. This Haas family favorite is a good match for the 2007 Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc. The richness of the Roussanne in the Esprit Blanc nicely complements the combination of earthiness and creaminess of the root vegetables. Serve it with a simple green salad and crusty bread for a perfect comforting winter meal.
- 1 lb. potatoes, peeled and chopped
- 3 large carrots, chopped
- 2 large leeks, finely sliced
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups chicken broth
- salt to taste
- cream (for garnish)
- 3 tbsp finely chopped parsley (for garnish)
- Melt the butter in a stock pot, add the leeks and carrots over medium-low heat. Stir to thoroughly coat vegetables with butter, and saute for about 5 minutes. Do not let leeks brown.
- Add the potatoes, the chicken stock, the water, and salt.
- Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20-25 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Remove from heat, and use an immersion blender to puree. Correct seasonings.
- Ladle into bowls, and serve with a swirl of cream and a sprinkling of parsley.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Roussanne, Clairette Blanche