Chicken with Forty Cloves of Garlic
A traditional Provençal dish. The garlic and fennel require a wine that is both rich and aromatic, and the Esprit Blanc makes a perfect complement.
- 1 whole chicken, in pieces (about 4lbs)
- 6 tbsps olive oil
- 40 cloves of garlic, peeled
- 1 head fennel, cut into slices
- 1 sprig fresh tarragon
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 tsp sea salt
- ground black pepper
- ¼ cup brandy
- Mix olive oil, garlic cloves, fennel slices, and herbs in large mixing bowl.
- Add chicken pieces, and toss so that chicken is completely coated with oil. Cover with brandy and add salt and pepper over the top.
- Transfer entire mixture into a heavy casserole dish with tight-fitting lid, making sure chicken pieces are tightly packed.
- Cover, and cook for 1 hour at 375 degrees.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Grenache Blanc, Picardan