Crab and Avocado Salad with Meyer Lemon Vinaigrette
This delicious preparation is excellent with fresh Dungeness crab, but would work just as well with blue or stone crab. It's an ideal pairing with a white with both brightness and a little floral tropicality, like the Cotes de Tablas Blanc.
Prep Time: 10
Cook Time: 15
Total Time: 45
- 1 Large Dungeness crab (approx. 2 lbs)
- 1 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 2 Meyer lemons, zested and juiced, 1 tbsp of juice separated
- ½ Ruby red grapefruit, juiced
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 4 tbsps Grapeseed (or other neutral) oil
- Heavy cream (optional)
- 2 Avocados
- For crab salad: Bring a stockpot of water to a boil. Immerse crab and cover with a gap for steam to escape. Boil for 12-15 minutes. Remove from boiling water and cool.
- Remove meat from crab and set aside in bowl.
- Mix crab with ½ tablespoon mayonnaise, or more to your liking.
- Fold in 1 tbsp. lemon juice and salt and pepper to taste. Set in fridge until ready to use.
- For vinaigrette: In a small bowl, whisk lemon zest, grapefruit juice, honey, salt, pepper, and remaining lemon juice until combined.
- While whisking constantly, slowly stream in oil to emulsify
- [Optional] If you’d like a creamy dressing, in a separate bowl, beat a few tablespoons of heavy cream until it forms soft peaks. Fold in half a teaspoon at a time into the dressing until it reaches the desired consistency.
- For assembly: Halve and peel avocados, then season with salt and pepper.
- Place two generous tablespoons of crab salad inside each avocado half. Drizzle vinaigrette (1-2 teaspoons) on top of crab and avocado.
- [Optional] Garnish with microgreens and a dash of olive oil, if desired.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Cotes de Tablas Blanc, Viognier, Grenache Blanc