Farmer’s Market Tomato Salad with Orange Zest Crackers
Jill Ogorsolka, of Trumpet Vine Catering, provided this delicious summer recipe. The sweetness and acidity of the tomatoes make it a wonderful pairing for the Grenache Blanc
- ½ cup unbleached all purpose flour
- ½ tsp coarsely ground black pepper
- 1 tsp freshly grated orange rind
- 2 tbsps cold unsalted butter, cut into small pieces
- 1 tbsp sour cream
- 1 ½ tsps fresh orange juice
- coarse salt
- 3 Farmer’s Market tomatoes, medium sized, multi-colored if possible
- 5 tbsps crème fraiche
- 1 tbsp basil, thinly sliced
- 4 tbsps Pasolivo Orange Olive Oil
- Freshly cracked peppers and kosher salt to taste
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Blend the fl our, pepper, orange rind and butter until the mixture resembles meal, add the sour cream and the orange juice and combine, adding 1 teaspoon of water if necessary, until it just forms a dough.
- Gather the dough into a ball and chill it, wrapped in plastic, for about 15 minutes.
- Roll out the dough 1/16 inch thick on a lightly floured surface and with a 2-inch round cutter cut out 16 rounds.
- Place rounds on an ungreased cookie sheet, sprinkle with coarse salt and bake for 12 minutes, or until they are golden. Transfer crackers to a rack and cool for 5 minutes
- For the salad, slice tomatoes ¼ inch thick and fan onto serving platter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper to taste.
- Spread crème fraiche over tomatoes.
- Drizzle olive oil over tomatoes and crème fraiche and spread basil over the top.
- Serve with the Orange Crackers.
Pairs With: Grenache Blanc