Grilled Scallops with Grilled Apples and Honey Drizzle
This recipe, from Chef Maegen Loring when she was at the helm of the Park Restaurant in San Luis Obispo, was created to pair with the Esprit de Blanc, but would also pair beautifully with the Viognier-driven Cotes de Tablas Blanc wines. It was so successful that she added it to their menu!
- 2 Granny Smith apples, cored and peeled
- 12 big sea scallops
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- ¼ cup seasoned rice vinegar
- ¼ cup honey
- 8 fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat a gas grill at high heat.
- Slice apples crosswise into quarter-inch slices.
- Brush olive oil on both sides of apple slices and scallops, and season lightly with salt and pepper.
- Grill apple slices for 1 minute on each side.
- Remove from heat, and place 3 apple slices on each dinner plate.
- Grill scallops for 2 minutes on each side, and place a scallop on each grilled apple slice.
- Mix the rice vinegar and honey together and drizzle on scallops.
- Sprinkle with sliced basil and serve with freshly ground pepper and Tablas Creek Cotes de Tablas Blanc or Esprit de Beaucastel Blanc.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel Blanc, Cotes de Tablas Blanc, Viognier, Clairette Blanche