Grilled Shrimp and Grits
Artisan Restaurant is a new highlight in the Paso Robles culinary scene, and chef Chris Kobayashi provided this delicious recipe to pair with the Tablas Creek 2005 Counoise.
- 1 cup white grits
- 2 ½ cups white, plus more as needed
- 2 cups milk
- 1 ¼ tsps kosher salt
- 4 tbsps (1/2 stick) unsalted butter, room temperature
- ⅓ cup shredded medium-sharp cheddar cheese
- ⅓ cup shredded smoked gouda cheese
- ⅓ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Additional salt, to taste
- 1 tsp Tabasco (optional)
- 8 slices center cut bacon, cut in half in pieces
- 2 lbs. jumbo shrimp, peeled and deveined
- extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lb. white mushrooms, sliced
- 1 bunch green onions (white and some of the green), chopped
- 1 cloves garlic, grated
- ½ lemon, juiced
- 9 red grape tomatoes, halved
- 1 tbsp chopped fresh parsley
- In a saucier or Dutch oven over medium heat, combine the grits, water, milk, salt and 2 Tbsp. butter and bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until tender, 45-60 minutes. If grits become too thick, add more water.
- Remove from heat and stir in remaining 2 Tbsp. butter, cheddar, smoked gouda and Parmigiano-Reggiano cheeses, pepper and tabasco. Reserve and keep warm.
- For the shrimp, cook the bacon in a large sauté pan until crisp. Set bacon aside and drain excess grease from pan.
- Add 1-2 Tbs. olive oil to the pan. Sauté the sliced mushrooms over medium heat until caramelized, about 10 minutes.
- Add half the onions and continue to sauté for 2-3 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in grated garlic, lemon juice, halved red grape tomatoes and cooked bacon. Cover and set aside while you grill the shrimp.
- Build a charcoal fire or preheat a gas grill to medium. Toss shrimp with more oil and season with salt. Place shrimp on cooking grate over direct medium heat, cover and grill 2-3 minutes on each side or until shrimp are pink and slightly curled (smaller shrimp take less time).
- Remove shrimp from grill to a clean platter and add them to the bacon-mushroom mixture. Stir and reheat on medium low heat until very hot, about 5 minutes. Stir the grits if necessary.
- Divide grits equally among four plates, top with equal portions of grilled shrimp, and sprinkle with chopped fresh parsley and remaining green onions. Let rest for a few minutes and then serve.
Pairs With: Counoise