Maitake Mushroom Grilled Cheese with Truffle-Tomato Bisque
Chef Jeffery Scott prepared this recipe to be paired with Tablas Creek red wines.
- 1 medium onion, diced small
- 3 carrots, diced small
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 2 15 pz. cans San Marzano tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- ½ cup heavy cream
- 3 tbsp black truffle oil
- Grated Piave Vecchio (can substitute with parmesan)
- 1 lb Comte cheese, sliced thin
- 4 oz extra aged gouda, grated
- 1 lb Maitake mushrooms (can substitute with sliced porcini
- ¼ cup veal demi-glace
- 4 tsp aioli
- Sliced scallions
- 1 loaf rustic bread, sliced
- ¼ lb Irish butter
- In a medium saucepan, sweat the onions, carrots and garlic until translucent; add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add San Marzano tomatoes, chicken stock and cream; simmer for 30 minutes.
- Add truffle oil, salt and pepper to taste.
- Blend in two batches and push through a fine mesh strainer.
- Toss the Maitake mushrooms in a dash of olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Roast in a 400 degree oven for 15 minutes set aside.
- Lay out four slices rustic bread; spread aioli, lay several pieces Comte.
- Cover with mushrooms, drizzle demi-glace, finish with Gouda and scallion.
- Spread a light amount of aioli on the top pieces of bread.
- Griddle with Irish butter until golden brown and cheeses are melted.
- Finish the soup with a drizzle of truffle oil and a sprinkle of Piave Vecchio.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel, Cotes de Tablas, Patelin de Tablas