A meringue-based dessert topped with fresh fruit, made to pair with Petit Manseng.
- 6 egg whites
- 1 ½ cups fine baking sugar
- 2 tsp heaped cornstarch
- 2 tsp white vinegar
- 1 ½ cups heavy whipping cream
- 3 tbsp powdered sugar (to taste)
- Splash vanilla extract
- Golden Kiwi Fruit
- Passionfruit pulp
- Preheat the oven to 212°F (100°C).
- Prepare a baking sheet with parchment paper, and trace an 8 or 9 inch circle using a cake pan as a guide. Be sure to flip the parchment over so the pencil mark is facing down.
- Whisk the egg whites until they form soft peaks (4-5 minutes).
- Gradually add the sugar, cornstarch, and white vinegar, while continuing to whisk, until firm and glossy (another 4-5 minutes). The mixture should be completely smooth, with no grains of sugar coming through.
- Mound the mixture onto the parchment-lined baking sheet in a circle, keeping in mind that it will spread slightly in the oven. Be sure to keep it nice and tall, for maximum marshmallow-like fluff.
- Bake on the center rack for 90 minutes until crisp, but not colored. Do not open the door to check on it. If you must check for color, turn on the oven light.
- Turn off heat, and cool the pavlova completely in the oven with the door closed for at least 6 hours (or overnight). This allows for no dramatic change in temperature that could cause it to collapse.
- To assemble, transfer the pavlova to a serving plate.
- Whip heavy cream with powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Spread the whipped cream on top of the pavlova and decorate with fresh fruit. Feel free to be as artistic or abstract as you like.
- Serve with a chilled glass of Petit Manseng and enjoy!
Pairs With: Petit Manseng