Short Rib Grilled Cheese
This short rib grilled cheese recipe was designed specifically for the Tablas Creek wine club. The savory meat of the short rib will pair nicely with many Tablas Creek red wines including the Esprit de Tablas, En Gobelt, and Mourvedre.
- 3 lb boneless short rib
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 cups veal demi-glace
- 8 slices of rustic bread
- 4 tbsp aioli
- 1 lb Comte, sliced thin
- 4 oz extra-aged Gouda, grated
- ¼ lb Irish butter
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a medium saucepan, sweat the onions and garlic in olive oil until translucent, then add tomato paste and cook for 2 minutes.
- Deglaze pan with red wine, then add veal demi-glace. Simmer for 30 minutes.
- In an oven-safe pan, sear the short ribs on all sides and coat with finished red wine sauce.
- Place in oven, covered for four hours.
- Leave uncovered on a countertop for 1 hour, then shred the meat with two forks.
- Spread aioli on the slices of rustic bread.
- Separate four slices. Lay several pieces of Comte, add shredded short rib, finish with Gouda, and top with the remaining four slices of bread aioli side down.
- Melt Irish butter in a pan and sear at medium heat until the cheese is melted and the bread is golden brown.
Pairs With: Esprit de Tablas/Beaucastel, En Gobelet, Mourvedre, Grenache